Behold! My most recently completed sew. It's the Simplicity 1692 blouse reproduction from the 40s.
Usually I steer clear of Simplicity patterns, but this blouse goes alright. I cut and made the size 12 with no alterations. (I still have a partially embroidered toile of this pattern on my dress form right now to be finished soon.) I don't know if you can see but there are little pearl buttons on the shoulder and the stupid loops. Those loops took me 4 hours to turn through. Yeah, 4 hours. I was watching telly. After some internet stalking I found one version of this blouse where they used ric rac trim as the shoulder loops. Brilliant idea.
The blouse neckline is really pretty with the low narrow scoop at the front. The waist tucks means it sits nicely under skirts and pants. I even did a pretty great invisible zip in the left side! Kimono sleeves are the best kind of sleeves. I might make this blouse again. If I did it would probably be in a textured black something - like a seersucker? Or maybe even a draped velvet? That would be decadent.
The skirt is Simplicity 3766 from the 50s, a true vintage pattern. It's a perfect go to skirt with a grey-blue colour which is great for this navy based Japanese cotton lawn print. You may recognise the cotton lawn fabric from an early post about this 1940s Vogue dress. This little blouse was made from the leftover fabric. The pearl buttons were also in my stash. And I stole the invisible zip from mum. So... the blouse was free!
Blouse: Simplicity 1692
Skirt: Simplicity 3766
Brooch: Sarah Coventry from the Rock N Roll Markets
Something strange happened with this dress. Something for good!
When it was started, I didn't really care about the finish of it. All I wanted was a new summer frock that fitted and had a cute 1950s sundress vibe.
After hand picking the zip in only the white gingham squares I started to care about the details. The finish. The inside. The seam allowance treatment. I didn't want any visible top stitching. I didn't want to take the sewing machine route to a quickly finished piece. I took time and care in lining up the gingham so the horizontal lines ran uninterrupted around the dress. The waist seam was lined up to the best of my ability.
It paid off.
Now I have a wonderful little retro sundress which fits, has a lined bodice, contrast pockets, and ric rac trim! Seriously, look at that trim.
I wanted this dress to look like a 50s sundress, to wear on sunny days or at picnics. What better way to achieve that than... ric rac! The ric rac covers the 2" deep hem stitch line. So much love. This was my first time ever using a decorative trim. I usually prefer to leave the garment plain. But there is something that trim does to an outfit. Makes it look more authentic and finished.
The back bodice looks different to the usual Butterick 5748 since I changed the location of the zipper. It's easier to get into and I find it more comfortable with the back zip anyway. I don't mind that the sleekness of the original pattern has been lost. In the photo below I was chatting to my neighbour.
The pattern is the lined bodice of Butterick 5748, size 12. That's where following the pattern ended. The bodice is lined like the pattern, but not the skirt. I used Hong Kong seam finishes for the skirt seams. To me, doing a full lining in a summer dress is just silly.
Side zip changed to back zip, 16" zip - love it
Circle skirt changed to gathered skirt
In seam pockets added to both sides
The dress had a first time outing to a lovely lunch for Dad's birthday. We were in the city all day so I took a cardi with me in case. The dress was comfortable and breezy. I absolutely love it.
Dress: Butterick 5748 (modified)
Shoes: Charlie Stone Shoes
Cardigan: Cotton On from years ago
Knitter. Home seamstress. Dance Teacher.