Scroll down to jump straight to the tutorial
Introducing.... The Gable Top by Jennifer Lauren Handmade. But with bishop sleeves! Shut up and take my money.
My first attempt at this hack was with an additional 3" to either side of the sleeve - so an extra 6" per sleeve. I made it in a draped black knit jersey fabric from Spotlight. The added 3" per side looked really drastic on the pattern, and then wasn't at all drastic in real life. It was a subtle bishop sleeve.
Nothing was changed in the sleeve cap, I didn't do the slash and spread method. I did the lazy version. To continue with the lazy theme, I made a casing and slid some elastic through. No messing around with cuffs.
On the second version I used a wine coloured, open drapey knit which was prone to unravelling - tedious. I added 9" per side of the sleeve. That's a whopping 18" of additional sleeve. This was much more successful. However... there could always be more sleeve drama. I want to drape myself around the house like a femme fatale.
Tutorial: Gable Top Hack - Bishop Sleeves
You will need
1. Trace the entire sleeve, including all pattern markings. Remember to add a note about the type of hack and what version of the sleeve it is. Sometimes it can even be a good idea to add a date.
2. From the bottom edge of your sleeve hem, measure out your desired additional width. 9" on both sides = 18 additional inches added into the sleeve fullness and the wrist. Draw a line from that point up to the beginning of the sleeve cap shaping. It's going to look crazy. Just go with it. The example below is 9" per side.
3. Directly below, add your casing. Mine was 2cm (and I folded in 5mm to hide the raw edge).
4. Add in the little wibbly-bit on the BACK of the sleeve. The back of the sleeve will be decided by the double notches on the sleeve cap. I just free-handed this wibbly-bit and it worked out in the end. My smaller black 3" per side didn't have the wibbly-bit and there wasn't an issue - the world kept turning.
5. Cut out your new sleeve pattern. Again, double triple check that it is clearly labelled and you've listed how large the addition is.
Cut 2 of your new sleeve pattern. Hooray for dramatic sleeves!
Note on asssembly:
Make Gable Top as usual. However, do not hem the sleeves before inserting them.
Set the sleeves in, sew the side seams and THEN do the elastic casing. Trust me, this is the easiest way.
Now, swan about in your beautiful new top with added drama and mystery. Let me know if you try the cheats version of the bishop sleeve!
Top: Gable Top b Jennifer Lauren Handmade
Boots: Sandler, circa 2004/2005
Do you have left over fabric scraps or towels that are looking a bit scrappy? Then you need to make these easy little make up removal pads!
I'm trying to minimise my single use objects like water bottles, take away cutlery, tea and coffee cups. But I realised that my beauty regime relies heavily on single use objects. Especially things like cotton pads and cotton balls. There is no reason I should be using something disposable to apply my toner to my face, or to remove the Pond's Cold Creme Cleanser, or to lay my earrings on as I spray them. Sure, I can understand the need for sterile single use products when tending to a cut, but just for my toner.... not so much.
I had some left over fabric scraps as well as an unmatched and very old hand towel. Both are simple cotton and work a treat for these little make up pads. I also used thread from my stash so this was basically a free project!
How to make your own make up remover pads
1. Gather supplies. You will need
2. Trace around the large cup/mug with the chalk on both the cotton fabric and the towel. Make sure you wash the cup before using it again.
3. Cut out all the little cute circles. It doesn't need to be neat, nor exact. Honestly, I just hacked mine.
4. Placing right sides together, stitch around the edge and back tack. I did it as close to the edge as possible. Trim the seam allowance to about 5mm - it makes the next step easier.
5. Turn the little make up pad inside out and tuck in the the remaining bits. I didn't even pin it. A little finger pressing will be fine, or use a bulldog clip.
6. Zipzag around the edge, making sure to catch the little tucked-in piece. DONE!
Enjoy! Mine are stored in a glass jar next to my bobby pins. It's such a great stash buster they are so useful.
I have already used mine for removing my creme cleanser, to apply toner, and clean my earrings. They are excellent! I made about 20 and have enough of a stash to make more if needed.
Let me know if you make them and what you think!
I made a hat. Well, I chopped a hat apart and then re-made it! It is the hat of my vintage dreams.
Emileigh Rogers has a great blog with this tutorial to create a gorgeous vintage style hat. It was really easy to do and took perhaps 15-20 minutes to complete.
First, I had to remove the black ribbon band so I could use it later on. Then I hacked the top from the brim, and then the very top part off as well. I went for about an inch of height at the crown of the hat.
The top was a bit smaller than the hole at the brim so I hot glued the inside hat ribbon to the top. It's a bit terrible, but got the job done!
The photo below show the new shorter height of the hat. I have to pin it to my head. I might experiment with combs, or even a cute ribbon to tie under my chin... something removable maybe. The flowers were lying around and I jammed them into the ribbon.
Having the flowers underneath are a winner! They are only in my hair, not attached to the hat at all. So cute. Bring on summer!
Flowers: Kmart years ago
Hat: from Big W here
Knitter. Home seamstress. Dance Teacher.