IT'S FINISHED! My first proper fair isle pattern has been cast off, blocked and worn. I absolutely love it. There will no doubt more fair isle knitting in my future. Mostly because there is a lot of yarn left over from this project...
The pattern is knit in the round, bottom up until the shaping for the armsyce. The front neck/upper back are knitted straight in rows. Neck and armholes and picked up and knit afterwards in the roundy-round. Then time to weave in a buttload of ends. So many ends. All the ends! Took me two full nights of weaving to finish it.
Purl-ing the fair isle was a bit of a pain to get used to, but I eventually found a rhythm. I cannot say how pleased I am with this project. It's the first thing I've completed in my knitting goals for 2018 and I'm glad that it's worked so darn well!
Now, I can do plain knitting, cables, lace AND colourwork! Considering that 2019 will be my 10th year of knitting, I think I'm doing pretty well! Colourwork isn't scary, it just takes time, patience, a little more concentration... and natural light.
P.S: Note how well the red in the vest matches the red of my existing pants! Match made in heaven.
Ravelry notes here
Trousers: Hell Bunny
Scroll down to jump straight to the tutorial
Introducing.... The Gable Top by Jennifer Lauren Handmade. But with bishop sleeves! Shut up and take my money.
My first attempt at this hack was with an additional 3" to either side of the sleeve - so an extra 6" per sleeve. I made it in a draped black knit jersey fabric from Spotlight. The added 3" per side looked really drastic on the pattern, and then wasn't at all drastic in real life. It was a subtle bishop sleeve.
Nothing was changed in the sleeve cap, I didn't do the slash and spread method. I did the lazy version. To continue with the lazy theme, I made a casing and slid some elastic through. No messing around with cuffs.
On the second version I used a wine coloured, open drapey knit which was prone to unravelling - tedious. I added 9" per side of the sleeve. That's a whopping 18" of additional sleeve. This was much more successful. However... there could always be more sleeve drama. I want to drape myself around the house like a femme fatale.
Tutorial: Gable Top Hack - Bishop Sleeves
You will need
1. Trace the entire sleeve, including all pattern markings. Remember to add a note about the type of hack and what version of the sleeve it is. Sometimes it can even be a good idea to add a date.
2. From the bottom edge of your sleeve hem, measure out your desired additional width. 9" on both sides = 18 additional inches added into the sleeve fullness and the wrist. Draw a line from that point up to the beginning of the sleeve cap shaping. It's going to look crazy. Just go with it. The example below is 9" per side.
3. Directly below, add your casing. Mine was 2cm (and I folded in 5mm to hide the raw edge).
4. Add in the little wibbly-bit on the BACK of the sleeve. The back of the sleeve will be decided by the double notches on the sleeve cap. I just free-handed this wibbly-bit and it worked out in the end. My smaller black 3" per side didn't have the wibbly-bit and there wasn't an issue - the world kept turning.
5. Cut out your new sleeve pattern. Again, double triple check that it is clearly labelled and you've listed how large the addition is.
Cut 2 of your new sleeve pattern. Hooray for dramatic sleeves!
Note on asssembly:
Make Gable Top as usual. However, do not hem the sleeves before inserting them.
Set the sleeves in, sew the side seams and THEN do the elastic casing. Trust me, this is the easiest way.
Now, swan about in your beautiful new top with added drama and mystery. Let me know if you try the cheats version of the bishop sleeve!
Top: Gable Top b Jennifer Lauren Handmade
Boots: Sandler, circa 2004/2005
Hello and welcome to my MMMay18 week 1 wrap up. So far, the challenge has been pretty easy for me. Autumn is great time to move into knitwear, but skirts are still fine. It's a fairly wonderful time of the year. So far, I've not donated any me made clothing, but I did go through my fabric and yarn stash to move along small pieces or leftovers that I would never use. It feels lovely to let things go. I think quilters are in the best place to use smaller scraps.
Without further ado....
Day 1: Simplicity 3688 grey wool skirt. Op shop jacket. Ebay blouse.
Day 2: Gable top by Jennifer Lauren Handmade in a purple cotton spandex from Spotlight. Scottie brooch was a gift from Mum and Dad's travels in Scotland. Pants by Retrospec'd.
Day 3: Vogue 8811 (LOVE IT!) with Anita Carigan. Belt from eBay.
Day 4: New Look 6000 recently completed from a ponte from Spotlight.
Day 5: Green Salal cardigan with Hunter Green Cascade 220 superwash yarn. Buttons from Etsy. Blouse by Revival purchased through eBay. Pants are Collectif jeans. The large earrings are vintage resin things that I tuned into earrings myself!
Day 6: Wedding attire! Butterick 4919 full length dress made from a CDC from Spotlight. Rust coloured bolero bought from Myer when it was still called Grace Bros.
Day 7: Cosy Monday with 1940s Cabled Cardi in an acrylic 5ply.
Knitter. Home seamstress. Dance Teacher.