Can I make a dress in 3 days, only sewing in the evenings? Yes I can. It was stressful, tense, and so much swearing...but I did it!
It was cut out on Tuesday night and I constructed most of the bodice. Wednesday morning before work I finished the armhole facings. Wednesday night was the pockets, sewing the skirt together, gathering the skirt and attaching it to the bodice, inserting the zip incorrectly, and then just MacGyvering the back of the bodice to work with the incorrect zip. That last step was where all the swearing was. I tried it on. And got stuck in it. More swearing.
It was tense.
But it was finished!
I've previously made Vogue 8789 in a lovely yellow cotton duck type fabric. This time it was from a 'spots and stripes' cotton range at Spotlight. Cheap and cheerful.
I did my usual construction of this pattern which is to change the side zip to a back zip.
This is the bodice completed. It's not the best job, but I was rushing! One day I will make this in a stripe and it will be glorious. Beautifully matched stripes running to the front of that bodice.... gorgeous.
The little armhole facing is hiding in there. These armholes facings are not interfaced at all which makes this dress such a quick make. No interfacing, no messing around with stuff. Just get on with it. Perhaps my cutting out was inaccurate, but I can never get the facing seam to line up with the bodice seam. It's fine. I'll just do a little bit of invisible hand sewing to hold the facing in place.
The skirt is attached and the zipper is going in! At this point in time, I didn't know the zip was being stitched in the wrong place.... That was for future M to discover.
The Birthday Partay!
You wouldn't believe it. I didn't actually get any full length pictures in my outfit at the party! There are some almost full length like the picture below. The cardigan and beret were also made by me from a while ago.
Have a look at the general shenanigans. All names of people read from left to right. I didn't get photos with everyone. I was too busy having a lovely day!
Me and my lovely. He did the sound set up for the day. He rocks. :D Happy M.
My cousin got married on a beautiful Sunday afternoon in the Dandenong Ranges, VIC. It was a really lovely day (weather wise and event wise). The sun was shining, there was no rain, and it was a beautiful ceremony.
Of course, I had to make a new outfit for the occasion. I sewed this whole outfit out in 1.5 weeks of evening sewing and cutting. I actually made the capelet in two evenings - cutting out included. It was pretty stressful and I finished the night before our flight to Melbourne.
The dress is New Look 6000. What can't this pattern do!? I have made this dress 5 times now. Perhaps that is enough? Nah, probably not...
The pictures below are mostly of the zip process. Lapped zippers look so lovely, but this sure isn't my best one. It was messy and uneven. It was rushed. I regret it. But at least is on my back where I can't see it.
This upholstery brocade fabric frayed as soon as you look at it. The very first thing to do was edge stitch every single piece. Over all the sides. That was tedious! Even the facings had to be done. I usually do my edge stitching in a different colour. Mostly to use up old thread from previous projects.
(I went for the green zip)
This is before the facings and hem were done. It has such a lovely shape. This is the size 12.
Now the little capelet. I used the Butterick 5032 pattern (I think it is out of print?). I have previously made the dress from that pattern and was uninspired by it. Perhaps a poor fabric choice, but the dress pattern is really short waisted.
I made the 12 in the capelet and I LOVE IT! The picture below is just after I had finished attaching the lining. It hadn't been understitched yet, I just couldn't wait to turn it though and see what was happening. It wasn't pressed, it was just thrown onto the body form and I went to bed.
And the finished cape! Check out that gorgeous self covered button. It's the first one I ever made. And boy, it won't be my last. I'm not trying to be humble or anything, but that pattern matching over the front of the cape is an absolute fluke. I should rush through projects more often! The collar sits really nicely, the button is fantastic. The capelet is fastened with a very large press stud underneath the button. It's a super cute finish.
My lovely is wearing a vintage suit that he purchased while we were in Dallas, Texas. It's a really great suit for a spring wedding. Perfect. His shoes are awesome - can't remember where they are from though...
It was a lovely wedding, and a successful outfit. Hooray!
Vintage suit: Dallas, Texas
Tie: Vinnies NSW
Barely seen pocket square (actually a bow tie in matching fabric): made by me
Shoes: can't remember
Capelet: Butterick 5032 (size 12)
Dress: New Look 6000 (size 12)
Stockings and underthings: What Katie Did
Shoes: Django and Juliette
Knitter. Home seamstress. Dance Teacher.